Online therapy is very much like interpersonal therapy except it occurs virtually through an online connection rather than physically in the therapist’s office. One of the biggest benefits I hear from my clients is that they get to work with the therapist they want, even though they do not live in the same City, State or even Country.
There are many reasons why people prefer online therapy.
- Some clients are more comfortable in their own home
- Booking an online session eliminates the additional time needed for travel to and from the therapist’s office
- Avoid the perceived stigma of seeing a therapist – some of my younger clients (pre-teens and adolescents) feel self-conscious about going to a therapist’s office.
- Some clients need support more often and may require more flexible, shorter sessions
- The freedom to book with the therapist you want regardless of where you and your therapist live
- Online coaching/therapy and Concierge therapy offers a greater more involved level of support
- Allows access to a therapist while traveling or working abroad.
Online Therapy for Social Anxiety
Social anxiety can be debilitating and for some, they may even feel uncomfortable visiting a therapist in his office. This person may benefit from online therapy sessions.
Support at the right time is essential for social anxiety. Often times I find I have a client who is struggling with anxiety before an important event (work or social) and they need a session. Online support from a therapist is essential in these situations. It allows for an opportunity to break through the anxiety, to go over learned skills, and to receive encouragement. This kind of support can make all the difference in how he/she experiences the event. Growth is a process and support form a therapist who understands what you are going through and can offer helpful guidance during difficult times.
HIPPA compliant video conferencing calls should be used for online therapy to protect the privacy of the client. HIPPA Compliant video conferencing call protects privacy audio/video communication that is securely encrypted and transmitted from point-to-point.
If you would like to learn more you are welcome to call and book an appointment or fill out our contact form and click send.
Ugo is a psychotherapist and life coach and uses HIPPA compliant video conferencing call.